We are currently looking to appoint a Café Manager at Twenty One. To apply for this position please send a CV and a one page covering letter outlining your relevant experience and interest in the post to Interim Director Hayley Dixon by midnight on Thursday 31 May 2018.
Twenty One is a café, gallery and events space located on the famous Southend seafront, adjacent to the pier. The venue is curated by Focal Point Gallery (FPG) who are part of Southend-on-Sea Borough Council. It is an extension of the FPG offer as well as a new café for tourists and locals alike, offering a fresh look, healthy food options and a range of beverages from quality coffee to craft beer. It will serve the borough with a diverse program of events, as well as being an affordable hire option for the creative community to host their own events, exploring a wide range of music and culture.
We are looking for a motivated and responsible person who is experienced in café management and confident in the
creation of healthy food options in a limited kitchen to manage the day to day running of the café side of the venture, coordinating a small support team, managing supplier relations, developing a suitable menu and leading on social media marketing. You will be in direct contact with the team at FPG and represent the complete offer of the organisation, reporting to the Interim Director and Gallery Coordinator. You will work alongside the Events Coordinator who will be the liaison for all venue bookings.
We ask that the individual has an interest in food, the arts and the town’s cultural output, with experience of working in cafes and bars in a coordination role. The ability to deliver effective communication through social media channels is required, as well as to event organisers and visitors. Experience working in the cultural sector is desirable.
We anticipate the role to encompass 4 to 5 days of work per week. Flexible hours are available as the venue is open on evenings and weekends. As Twenty One is undergoing a management change, this is a 3 month initial position with
view to extend to a full time role.
Applications are encouraged from a broad and diverse background.
Overview of Duties
• Represent FPG and its wider offer, maintaining the standards of the institution at all times.
• Source local suppliers for fresh produce.
• Create a simple but interesting seasonal menu.
• Ordering necessary and seasonal stock.
• Keep an inventory of equipment and report any damages or required replacements to FPG.
• Work with the organiser, within the means available, to assist them in a successful event.
• Record and report the number of visitors and any feedback. • Coordinate and manage a monthly rota of staff for the kitchen and evening and weekend events.
• Be willing to provide additional support when needed at specific evening and weekend events, to be discussed in advance or in case of staff sickness.
• Document the food offer and current exhibition with images for marketing.
• Support the FPG and events team should catering arrangements be required.
the general cleanliness of the venue throughout the day, reporting any major issues to the cleaning team.
• Provide general support to FPG and the events team.
• Knowledge of food, creating recipes and an idea of seasonal produce.
• A good knowledge of the area and desire to seek out local suppliers.
• A commitment to and interest in the arts and cultural events.
• Significant experience of working in cafes and bars, front of house work or public facing roles.
• Excellent organisational skills, with desirable experience in organising a staff rota.
• Strong initiative and troubleshooting skills.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills, including experience of using Word, Excel, email programs and the Internet.
• A confident social media user, willing to use all platforms for promotion and communication.
• Experience in using PC and Mac computers is desirable.
• Experience in using audiovisual equipment is desirable.
personal license holder would be beneficial but not essential.
• A reliable and punctual individual.
• A good team player, pro-active and independent with a friendly manner and hard working attitude.
Throughout the course of our public programme, Focal Point Gallery offer volunteer opportunities to undertake experience in the support of multiple activities that are central to the functioning of the gallery. These include events, workshops, offsite projects and numerous other activities.
For more information, please email